This article contains the steps for modifying the BIOS settings to enable computers to wake from the off state through Wake on LAN.
Dell Optiplex 755/760/780 computers do not wake from the off state through Wake on LAN (including Surveyor Wake on WAN), even when the settings in the BIOS and network card are configured.
The systems will wake from a sleep state using Wake on LAN.
These Dell Optiplex computers use an updated BIOS. The new BIOS has a setting for enabling low power mode, which is enabled by default. This setting must be disabled for Wake on LAN to work as expected.
To get Wake on LAN to wake computers from the off state, you need to edit a BIOS setting.
- Restart the computer, and before Windows starts, press F2 when indicated to access the BIOS settings.
- In the Settings column, expand Power Management, and then click Low Power Mode.
- Clear the Enable Low Power Mode check box.
When enabled the Enable Low Power Mode setting shuts down the network adapter. When the network adapter loses power it does not have the ability to wake the computer though the ACPI bus.
- All Verdiem Surveyor versions
- Dell Optiplex 755/760/780 computers using any operating system.